Skip to main content

Spaghetti squash with "zoodles" and sauce


I like food. I really do. Lately I've been working on getting things back into balance in our home, and one of the things I've been working on is incorporating more of a variety into our meals, and adding in new things that are healthy while also trying to accommodate everybody's food allergies. It feels like a huge accomplishment to cook a meal that everyone in our family can eat AND that everyone likes. I love spaghetti squash and the kids will tolerate it but they don't love it. I think I just haven't found the right recipe yet. Yesterday I decided to experiment with it and my lunch was delicious but also allergy-friendly, so I thought I'd share here.

First, I roasted the spaghetti squash. To do that, I split it in half, scooped out the seeds, oiled a foil-lined baking sheet, and placed both halves cut side down on the baking sheet. Then I baked at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. After it cooled, I used a fork to separate the shreds of squash into a bowl.


 In hindsight, I should have put it into a strainer to drain off some of the excess liquid. It has a lot of liquid so if you eat it with a sauce, it thins the sauce out.

For the sauce, I chopped 1/4 of an onion and sauteed it in oil until it was softened and translucent, then added 1 tsp of minced garlic and continued cooking for about a minute. Then I added 1/2 lb of ground turkey. Once the turkey was browned through, I added 1 can of diced tomatoes with Italian herbs (slightly pureed because I'm picky and don't like big chunks of tomato). While that simmered, I used my mandolin slicer to "zoodle" one small zucchini. An actual zoodler would make the process easier. I've been looking at this one on Amazon. I managed to finish with all of my fingers in tact anyway though, so it worked out fine. I added the zucchini to the sauce and simmered a couple more minutes until the zucchini was softened.

Since I hadn't seasoned the squash at all, I did add it teensy sprinkle of pink Himalayan salt and a little bit of garlic powder to it before I put the sauce over it. I sprinkled a little bit of parmesan cheese on top too. It was DELICIOUS and pretty quick and easy too. The sauce took less than 30 minutes including prep time, and with the quantities I used, it made 4 servings. Of which I ate 2, and gave another bowl to a friend who also thought it was tasty. Since we pretty much ate it all, I didn't offer it to the kids so I don't know yet if it's kid-approved. I will for sure be making it again though! I think next time, I'll add mushrooms too.

**This recipe is gluten free, grain free, dairy free, peanut free, tree nut free, soy free, and corn free. It is also keto diet-friendly.**

Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Zoodles and Sauce
Serves 4

1 medium spaghetti squash
1T oil
1/4 onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 lb ground turkey
1 can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs (pulsed in blender, if desired)
1 small zucchini, cut into "zoodles"
salt, to taste

Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Line baking sheet with foil, spray with cooking spray, and place squash cut sides down onto baking sheet. Roast at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Cool, then use a fork to scoop squash out of shell into a strainer and allow liquid to drain.

Saute' onion in oil until translucent. Add garlic to pan and continue cooking for 1 minute. Add ground turkey. Once turkey is browned through, add canned tomatoes. While simmering, "zoodle" the zucchini and then add to sauce. When zucchini has softened, spoon sauce over spaghetti squash to serve.

Comments

  1. This is great! In addition to my NPO tubie, I have a son with Prader-Willi syndrome who eats a low-carb, high-protein, high-fat diet. I have failed at spaghetti squash a few times, but this gives me courage to try again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments will require approval from blog owner prior to being published.

Popular Posts

Adhesives Part 1: Adhesives & Taping Techniques for NG tubes

This series has been a long time in the making. Back when Raya got her NG tube, I had no idea there were so many different adhesives on the market. At the hospital, they had used some kind of fabric tape in a box that had to be cut with scissors and that was the ONLY thing we accidentally left at the hospital. Raya caught her little pinky finger on the tube a couple days after we got home and the only medical tape I had ended up bringing home was Durapore. This tape is VERY sticky, very strong, and definitely not the best option for the tender little cheek of a 2 month old baby. A couple days later, we went to the GI doctor and the nurse saw the tape and told me that Duoderm would be much gentler on her skin and she gave me a couple of 6x6 sheets to try out.
That was the beginning of our trial-and-error process of figuring out which types of adhesives were better for all of the different things we used them for. This will of course NOT be an exhaustive review of every adhesive out the…

Sensory Processing Disorder: How to Make a Weighted Blanket

Lately I've been toying with the idea of making Raya a weighted blanket. She loves heavy things and has a lot of sensory seeking behaviors in regards to proprioception. Translation: she craves sensory input that helps her to gain awareness of where her body is in space, and it takes stronger than average input for her to get the feedback that her body is craving. (or at least that's how I understand it :) She seeks out "heavy work" activities, like carrying heavy things, pushing heavy things around on the floor (chairs, full laundry baskets, etc), and anything that gives heavy resistance to her muscles and joints. Lucky for us, carrying her backpack is a good heavy work activity because the poor kid gets to do that for a few hours a day. :)
The idea behind a weighted blanket and other heavy work activities is that when the child gains greater body awareness through proprioceptive input, the nervous system can be calmed and the need for constant fidgiting, moving, jump…

Feeding Tube Terminology: G tube words

One of the many things I didn't have a clue about before Raya got her G tube was the fact that there are LOTS of different kinds of G tubes, all with similar but different features & functions. Some of the terminology that was tossed around in the beginning was very confusing. When I met with the surgeon to pick out a button for when Raya's initial tube was ready to be changed, they pulled a bunch of tubes out of a cupboard, put them down on the table in front of me and said, "What kind do you want?" I had NO idea what to pick, all I knew was that anything would be better than what we had at that point.

Here are a few things I wish someone could have explained to me before Raya got a G tube:

1. What the heck does PEG mean?
PEG stands for percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. In other words, a gastrostomy tube is placed through the abdominal wall using an endoscope to visually guide the surgeon to the best location to place the tube. The term PEG is used to refer to …